Russian chess grandmaster dies in road accident
Moscow: Russian chess grandmaster Igor Kurnosov has died in a road accident.
The 28-year-old Kurnosov and another pedestrian were hit by a car driven by a 20-year-old girl, according to The Chess News.
The accident happened Thursday in the city of Chelyabinsk in Russia`s South Urals.
The grandmaster died at 2:45 p.m. local time.
In the World Chess Federation (FIDE) official rankings, Kurnosov held the 89th position among all players (84th among active players) and 22nd position among the Russian players (20th among the active players).
Kurnosov won his biggest title in 2003, five years after he started to participate in official tournaments.
Kurnosov`s latest achievement was the first place in an open tournament in Abu Dabi in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley