Russian judoka commits suicide
Moscow: Russian judo champion Elena Ivashchenko committed suicide because of her failure during the London Olympics.
Russian judo officials said that Elena Ivashchenko, 28, a four-time European champion (in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012), jumped from a 15th floor in the Siberian city of Tyumen, Saturday, reports Xinhua.
"Her depression started after her defeat at the Olympic Games. She really punished herself for it. She had beaten several times before those athletes she lost to (in London)," Vyacheslav Yurlov, director of the Tyumen Judo Olympic training center told local media.
He added that Elena has also suffered a leg injury which would require a surgery.
Last summer, Cuban judoka Idalys Ortiz dumped Ivashchenko out of the competition and subsequently won a gold medal. Ivashchenko finished only seventh in London.
"It seems that she couldn`t cope with the emotional pressure of it all, and so opted for suicide," Yurlov said.
The European Judo Union called her "one of the strong pillars of the Russian women`s team and in her category."
"Her performances and her personality will be forever in our minds," the union said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks