Russian judoka commits suicide
Moscow: Russian judo champion Elena Ivashchenko committed suicide because of her failure during the London Olympics.
Russian judo officials said that Elena Ivashchenko, 28, a four-time European champion (in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012), jumped from a 15th floor in the Siberian city of Tyumen, Saturday, reports Xinhua.
"Her depression started after her defeat at the Olympic Games. She really punished herself for it. She had beaten several times before those athletes she lost to (in London)," Vyacheslav Yurlov, director of the Tyumen Judo Olympic training center told local media.
He added that Elena has also suffered a leg injury which would require a surgery.
Last summer, Cuban judoka Idalys Ortiz dumped Ivashchenko out of the competition and subsequently won a gold medal. Ivashchenko finished only seventh in London.
"It seems that she couldn`t cope with the emotional pressure of it all, and so opted for suicide," Yurlov said.
The European Judo Union called her "one of the strong pillars of the Russian women`s team and in her category."
"Her performances and her personality will be forever in our minds," the union said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Clerics issue fatwa, make transgender marriage lawful in Pakistan
- Oil prices fall as Brexit lingers, refined products glut looms
- This Shiva temple in Pune built by Peshwa Nanasaheb is unique – Details inside
- Brexit consequence: British thaali may give Indian lady's finger a miss
- Ajay Devgn to star in Rohit Shetty's 'Golmaal 4'! Details inside