Russian Olympic Committee admonishes wrestlers
Moscow: Russian wrestlers should not return their medals to protest the International Olympic Committee`s (IOC) decision to exclude the sport from the Games, the Russian Olympic Committee said on Thursday.
"We now need to make efforts to persuade the IOC to keep wrestling. The honestly-won Olympic medals must remain with their owners," Alexander Zhukov, head of the Russian Olympic Committee, said.
He called the Russian athletes to undertake mass actions to demonstrate how popular the sport is before the IOC executive committee meeting due in St. Petersburg in May. Zhukov did not specify what actions the athletes could undertake.
Earlier this week, two Olympic champions in wrestling, Russian Sagid Murtazaliev and Bulgarian Valentin Jordanov, announced they would return their gold medals in protest the IOC plans.
The IOC said Feb 11 it would not recommend to include wrestling into the programme of the Olympic Games in 2020. The final decision will be made in September at the 125th IOC session in Argentina.
The cities of Madrid, Istanbul and Tokyo contest to host the 2020 Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts
- Pfizer boosts cancer drug roster with $14 billion Medivation deal