Russian Olympic silver medallist faces jail term
Moscow: Russian Olympic pole vault silver medallist Yevgeny Lukyanenko faces jail term due to vehicular manslaughter charges, local police said.
Lukyanenko, the silver winner of 2008 Beijing Olympics pole vault, lost control of his car in 2009 with a female passenger dying in the ensuing crash.
A District Court in charge of the case ‘will determine the degree of Lukyanenko`s guilt’, local media cited a police spokesperson as saying on Wednesday.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Friday, the police said, adding it was unclear whether the young athlete considered himself guilty.
The case was returned to state prosecutors to correct technical errors in their indictment in 2011 and was finally assigned to course in 2013.
If proved guilty, Lukyanenko could face up to seven years in the prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video