Russians offered me crores to lose World Championship final: Sushil Kumar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Another fixing saga in sports but this time it’s not cricket. Sushil Kumar, star Indian wrestler, who is the first to win two consecutive Olympic medals for the country, revealed to the Times of India that in 2010 he was offered cash to lose the World Championship in Moscow.
According to the report, when Sushil was preparing for his final bout against Russian Alan Gogaev, a member from the Indian camp came up to him and said they (Russians) wanted to talk to him about the bout.
“When he explained the whole thing, I was aghast. The money offered was around a good few crores,” stated Sushil to the daily.
The money was being offered to him to lose the final bout.
But the proud sportsperson simply refused it as he told the paper: "It was not a matter of two or four crores. It was a matter of honour."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3