S Y Qureshi to head IOA poll panel
New Delhi: Former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Qureshi will head the three-member panel to supervise and conduct the elections of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) here on November 25, it was announced on Tuesday.
IOA acting President Vijay Malhotra named the members of the panel, which also includes Chief Justice of Kerala High Court Justice V K Bali and retired Justice of Delhi High Court Justice J D Kapur.
Justice Bali will also be the returning officer.
The Special General Body Meeting (SGM) of the IOA held here on October 18 had authorised Malhotra to set up the panel.
"As per the mandate of the SGM, I have formed the panel to conduct the IOA elections in fair and transparent manner," Malhotra said in a statement.
This is for the first time that a former Election Commissioner of India along with a retired Chief Justice of High Court and a retired Justice of high Court will conduct the elections of country`s supreme sports body.
IOA secretary general Randhir Singh and newly-elected chairman of India Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) Abhay Chautala are likely to contest for the post of president at next month`s elections.
At its SGM, the sports body had also decided to grant provisional affiliation to Ice Skating Association Of India, Ice Hockey Association of India, Indian Amateur luge Association, the Indian Golf Union and Modern pentathlon with voting rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27