S Y Qureshi to head IOA poll panel
New Delhi: Former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Qureshi will head the three-member panel to supervise and conduct the elections of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) here on November 25, it was announced on Tuesday.
IOA acting President Vijay Malhotra named the members of the panel, which also includes Chief Justice of Kerala High Court Justice V K Bali and retired Justice of Delhi High Court Justice J D Kapur.
Justice Bali will also be the returning officer.
The Special General Body Meeting (SGM) of the IOA held here on October 18 had authorised Malhotra to set up the panel.
"As per the mandate of the SGM, I have formed the panel to conduct the IOA elections in fair and transparent manner," Malhotra said in a statement.
This is for the first time that a former Election Commissioner of India along with a retired Chief Justice of High Court and a retired Justice of high Court will conduct the elections of country`s supreme sports body.
IOA secretary general Randhir Singh and newly-elected chairman of India Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) Abhay Chautala are likely to contest for the post of president at next month`s elections.
At its SGM, the sports body had also decided to grant provisional affiliation to Ice Skating Association Of India, Ice Hockey Association of India, Indian Amateur luge Association, the Indian Golf Union and Modern pentathlon with voting rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing