SA CWG team was too white: Parliamentarian
Johannesburg: The South African team that finished fifth in the Delhi Commonwealth Games with 33 medals was "too white" and was not representative of the country`s population demographics, a Parliamentarian here has stated.
The Chairman of the oversight committee on sport and recreation in the South African Parliament, Bhutana Komphela, told the committee that this view was expressed by the High Commissioner to India, Harris Mbulelo Majeke.
"The High Commissioner said to me, `that team is too white`," the `The Star` quoted Komphela as telling the committee.
Komphela said the team looked more European than South African.
"The Samoan team looked more South Africa ? ours looked like it`s from the Queen," Komphela said.
"We are not saying take kids (of other race groups) from the streets, but why is there no concerted effort to transform sport? Send a South African team to (the Olympics) in London in 2012," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued