Sachin Tendulkar should be made sports minister, says Milkha Singh
Panaji: Legendary track and field sprinter Milkha Singh on Tuesday said hockey legend Dhyan Chand deserved the Bharat Ratna honour "before anyone else", even as he proposed that cricket great Sachin Tendulkar be made sports minister of the country.
"Sachin should be made sports minister so that he can work for the betterment of sports. Only a sportsman will work sincerely and with dedication for the cause of sports," Singh said here while launching the mascot for the forthcoming Lusofonia Games, scheduled in Goa in January next year.
Responding to a query, Singh, who is fondly known as "Flying Sikh", said he has never given a thought whether he should be conferred the highest civilian honour, Bharat Ratna.
"It is something that I have never given any thought to, to be honest. However, one person who deserved the Bharat Ratna before anyone else was Dhyan Chand," he said.
"Dhyan Chand`s contribution to the field of sport remains unparallelled," Singh added.
Singh, along with tennis player Sania Mirza, unveiled the mascot and torch for the Lusofonia games in a glittering ceremony held this evening.
The clamour for Bharat Ratna award for Dhyan Chand has been on for some time.
Sachin was recently chosen for the highest civilian honour after his retirement from cricket.
The cricketing great has on many occasions supported the cause of sports other than cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Delhi's waste chokes Yamuna of all aquatic life
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali to compose music for 'Padmavati'
- Teenager killed in firing by security forces as Rajnath Singh visits Kashmir
- Rio Olympics highlights: Ten moments that defined the Games for Indian contingent
- Rajkummar Rao, Kriti Sanon team up for 'Bareilly Ki Barfi'