Sacked Nobbs to conduct coaching clinic in Patiala
New Delhi: India`s sacked hockey coach Michael Nobbs will be conducting a coaching clinic for diploma students at the National Institute of Sports (NIS) Patiala while serving his notice period till Aug 7.
Sports Authority of India (SAI) said on Thursday that the Australian has been made part of the faculty at NIS Patiala.
"As per his contract, Nobbs will have to serve a notice period. So we thought the best way to utilise his experience was by making him part of the faculty at NIS Patiala. He will have a coaching clinic with the diploma students till August 7, when his contract ends," Thomson said.
Nobbs was sacked last week after the team`s series of dismal performances over the last 12 months. Nobbs returned to India, Monday, to settle his dues.
The decision to sack the Australian was taken during a review meeting of the team`s overall performance by the SAI. Nobbs, who was appointed in June 2011, was removed with three years still remaining of his contract.
Under Nobbs, the team lost all its matches during the 2012 London Olympics and finished a disappointing last among the 12 competing teams. Last month, India were sixth in the FIH World League Round 3 tournament in Rotterdam.
Nobbs` biggest achievement was taking India, who had missed the Beijing Games for the first time in 80 years, back to the Olympics by winning the qualifier on home soil. The team also finished fourth during the 2012 Champions Trophy.
HI high-performance manager Roelant Oltmans has been given the charge of the team while Olympic gold medallist Maharaj Krishan Kaushik has been appointed the national coach. The Dutch legend is now in charge of the national camp in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video