Sagan takes Tour of Switzerland stage, Martin holds lead
Peter Sagan of Slovakia won the third stage of the Tour of Switzerland on Monday, as Germany`s Tony Martin retained the leader`s yellow jersey.
Sagan, riding for Canondale, crossed the line first in a sprint finish at the end of the 202.9km stage from Sarnen to Heiden, ahead of Swiss rider Michael Albasini and Colombia`s Sergio Henao.
Australia`s 2011 Tour de France winner Cadel Evans and Portugal`s two-time defending champion Rui Costa, came home fifth and seventh respectively, as part of an 11-man group that gained five seconds on a second large pack which included Martin.
Luxembourg`s Frank Schleck, the older brother of 2010 Tour de France champion Andy, failed to make the start line on Monday after crashing badly during Sunday`s stage and suffering serious concussion.
Britain`s Bradley Wiggins, the 2012 Tour de France champion, had a day to forget as he could only muster 74th spot on the stage, a significent 2min 25secs slower than Sagan and his main rivals for the overall title.
His team Sky have yet to confirm whether Wiggins will ride this year`s Tour with defending champion Chris Froome of Britain expected to lead the team.
The Kenyan-born Froome suffered a painful crash in last Friday`s sixth stage of the Criterium du Dauphine and although he reached the finish line on Sunday, he was obviously feeling the effects of his injuries slumping to a 12th place finish.
American Andrew Talansky won the Dauphine race, 27secs ahead of Spaniard Alberto Contador.
Tuesday`s Tour of Switzerland fourth stage will be a 160km ride from Heiden to Ossingen and features two minor category four climbs, the second of which peaks 15km from home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves