Sagar Shah holds Solodovnichenko, Gupta scores win
Albena (Bulgaria): Hunting for an International Master norm, Sagar Shah played a solid game to hold Grandmaster Yuri Solodovnichenko of Ukraine while former Junior World champion Abhijeet Gupta recovered to score his first victory in the second round of Grand Europe Albena chess tournament here.
After an eventful draw in the first round Gupta made some recovery of sorts at the expense of Bulgarian veteran Metodi Stoinev and inched himself up to 1.5 points from his two games.
It turned out to be another good day for three Indian Grandmasters-in-waiting as they all scored needful victories over lower ranked opponents.
Vishnu Prasanna who made his third and final Grandmaster norm recently did not face many troubles and accounted for talented Indonesian girl Irine Kharisma Sukandar and Ashwin Jayaram outwitted Mario Vutov of Bulgaria.
Turkish Yildiz Cavusoglu found a strong opponent in Anurag Mahamal while Swapnil Dhopade warded off the challenge of Dimitar Marholev. On the flip side from Indian perspective, N Raghavi who had scored a minor upset in the first round while holding Ivaljo Enchev to a draw, lost to Olga Dolzhikova of Norway.
With seven rounds still to come in the 30000 Euros prize money tournament, as many as 27 players share the lead with a perfect score. Abhijeet Gupta and Sagar Shah are amongst those who have 1.5 points while Raghavi remained on just a half point from her two outings.
It was an English opening by Sagar Shah that met with some original treatment from Solodovnichenko, winner of some International tournaments.
The Ukrainian showed his prowess in the early part of the game gaining the initiative in the center and Sagar Shah recovered just in time to exchange some pieces to easy off the pressure.
Down a pawn, Shah had to put in precise defense and he did not falter to reach a drawn endgame with Rooks and Bishops of opposite colours. The peace was signed in 33 moves.
Important and Indian results round 2 (Indians unless stated): Sergey Shurygin (Rus, 1) lost to Constantin Lupulescu (Rou, 2); Vadim Skomorokhin (Rus, 1) lost to Hrant Melkumyan (Arm, 2): Tiberiu-Marian Georgescu (Rou, 2) beat Avetik Grigoryan (Arm, 1); David Paravyan (Rus, 2) beat Dragan Solak (Tur, 1); Vladislav Nevednichy (Rou, 2) beat Iveri Chighladze (Geo, 1); Sagar Shah (1.5) drew with Yuri Solodovnichenko (Ukr, 1.5); V Vishnu Prasanna (2) beat Irine Kharisma Sukandar (Ina, 1); Ashwin Jayaram (2) beat Mario Vutov (Bul, 1); Dimitar Marholev (Bul, 1) lost to Swapnil S. Dhopade (2); Yildiz Cavusoglu (Tur, 1) lost to Anurag Mhamal (2); Abhijeet Gupta (1.5) beat Metodi Stoinev (Bul, 0.5); Olga Dolzhikova (Nor, 1.5) beat N Raghavi (0.5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day