Sahara renews ties with hockey, to sponsor national teams
New Delhi: Sahara India Group today renewed its ties with Indian hockey by signing a five-year deal to sponsor the national men`s and women`s teams, besides announcing a sponsorship amount that is 170 per cent higher than the sum in the previous contract.
The group, which had earlier come forward to support the national sport in 2003, has assured whole-hearted support for the development of hockey.
"It is our national game and we are proud to be associated with this game and are elated to continue our patronage and support for the game. We will achieve greater laurels and success in the sport of hockey in the coming years and Sahara India Pariwar is committed to the development of sport at all levels," said Sahara chief, Subrata Roy.
Besides the seniors, the group will also sponsor the junior teams.
The sponsorship is a part of Sahara`s program to promote sports at ground level.
In addition to this, Sahara is also involved with Indian boxing, wrestling, archery, shooting, track & field and tennis, supporting a total of 95 sportsmen.
Speaking on the occasion, Hockey India`s general secretary, Narendra Batra, said, "I take this opportunity to thank Sahara India Pariwar, specially `Saharasri` Mr. Subrata Roy Sahara who is the greatest patron of sports, for coming forward and supporting the sport of Hockey. I am sure this association would encourage all the players to perform even better in the forthcoming International tournaments."
Sahara also joined hands with Federation Internationale De Hockey (FIH) in 2004, the World`s apex Body for the sport, and became the fourth global partner of the Federation for a period of three years.
Sahara`s association with hockey comes close on the heel of its decision decision to pull out of its sponsorship of the Indian cricket team and ownership of the Pune Warriors IPL franchise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam