SAI DG to submit report on Youth Games fiasco by Sep 5
New Delhi: Sports Authority of India Director General Jiji Thomson is likely to submit his report on 17 track and field athletes being disqualified from the second Youth Asian Games in Nanjing due to overage.
"The inquiry is going on into the issue. We will positively submit the report by September 5 to the Sports Ministry," said Thomson.
Sports Ministry had asked the SAI DG to probe the case and submit a report after 17 athletes were disqualified from Nanjing Youth Asian Games which concluded last week.
The Ministry had also asked Thomson to enquire into the case of four Indian badminton players being thrown out of the Youth Games as their names were not included in the entry list.
The Ministry had ordered SAI to fix responsibility on the officials for the fiasco which brought embarrassment to the country.
Only athletes born between January 1997 and December 1998 were eligible to take part in the track and field events in the August 16-24 Youth Asian Games but the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) included 17 athletes who were born in 1996 in the team.
Indians participated in the multi-sporting event as Independent Olympic athletes because the Indian Olympic Association is serving a ban imposed by the International Olympic Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside