SAI expecting 10 medals in London Olympics
Lucknow: The Sports Authority of India (SAI) is confident of a good showing from its athletes in the 2012 London Olympics and is expecting a rich haul of at least 10 medals.
"The Indian team is expected to win eight to ten medals at the London Olympics for which concrete preparations are on and an OPEX 2012 programme for providing better facilities to the athletes has been started," SAI Director General Desh Deepak Verma said while inaugurating `Sports Medicine Centre`.
"Under this programme, we have identified 16 sporting disciplines for which 24 foreign coaches would be engaged for training the athletes," he added.
In its bid to enhance India`s medal prospects at international events including Olympics, SAI has decided to increase the number of foreign trips for the athletes, said Verma.
The DG said that there are plans to develop Uttar Pradesh as the `training hub` of badminton and gymnastics besides giving more attention to hockey and wrestling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’