Saina and Sindhu are strong opponents: Li Xuerui
New Delhi: Olympic champion Li Xuerui on thursday lauded Indian shuttlers Saina Nehwal and P V Sindhu and called them "strong opponents" against whom they can never afford to give an inch.
"They are strong opponents, always tough to beat and we respect them. You see how Sindhu has beaten Shixiang Wang thrice and she did well here too. We have to be at our best to beat them," Li said with the help of an interpreter.
Saina had beaten Li at the Singapore Open in 2010 and also prevailed over her in a three-game match at the Indonesia Open in 2012, while Sindhu had defeated the two-time Asian championship winner in China Open in 2012, just after her Olympic glory.
Saina and Sindhu also have a good record against two-time All England champion Shixian Wang. While Sindhu had a 3-0 record against the Chinese before her first defeat to her at the ongoing India Super Series, Saina has a 4-3 record against the world championship bronze medallist.
Yihan Wang, who completes the Chinese trio, however always had an upper hand against India`s ace shuttler Saina, having beaten her seven times in the past. However, against Sindhu, she has a 1-1 record with the Indian beating her at the World championship last year.
Li today survived a scare from Nichaon Jindapon of Thailand to reach the quarterfinals by eking out a difficult 19-21 21-17 21-16 win in the second round.
"It was not a good day for me, but I am happy to have turned it around."
It is always difficult to hold on to the world number one status and Li said she belives in herself and would take one match at a time in the hectic year ahead.
"I have belief in my abilities and that helps me stay at the top," she said.
"I won the Asian Championships here and I would love to win the India Open title. There are too many tournaments this year and I am just hoping to take it one at a time and give my best."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh