Saina dedicates title to Gopichand, parents
Lucknow: Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal Sunday dedicated her first title in 15 months - the India Grand Prix Gold - to her parents and chief national badminton coach Pullela Gopichand.
The World No.9, who had last won a title at the Denmark Open Super Series Premier in October 2012, beat World Championship bronze medallist P.V. Sindhu 21-14, 21-17 in 40 minutes Sunday to take the title she had won in 2009.
“The comeback was not very easy for me. I had trained very hard with Gopi sir and I want to give him full credit for this victory. I am very happy to have won. It is still unbelievable that this has happened,” said the top seeded Saina.
“I am very happy that my efforts have borne fruit and I dedicate this victory to Gopi sir and my parents. In 2009 I had won the title here so it feels very good to win once again in Lucknow,” added the Hyderabadi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad