Saina delighted to play with Taufik
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal is delighted to be part of the same team as former Olympic and world champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia at the upcoming Indian Badminton League (IBL).
“Taufik is a role model and a driving force in the game. I am really happy to be part of Hyderabad Hotshots and I was thrilled once he was also included,” said Saina, who is currently preparing for the Aug 5-11 World Championships in Guangzhou.
The 23-year-old, who was bagged for $120,000 in the IBL players auction, said she was looking forward to train with the legendary Indonesian.
“Getting to train and play along with him is going to be brilliant. It will be the best part about playing the league,” said the World No.3.
“Fans would love to watch him on courts. I know Taufik sir since I joined the game. He is known for his wrist play while his back strokes are matchless and so nicely and accurately hit. His net play and court coverage too are unparalleled."
"I remember playing with him as a mixed double partner for an exhibition match in Syed Modi Memorial tournament in Lucknow in 2009. I have great memories of that match,” added the Hyderabadi.
About the Indonesian, Saina said, “He is extremely energetic on the court and makes badminton look easy and simple. I am sure his presence will be a great morale booster to the team.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj