Saina inspires me: Kashyap
New Delhi: Parupalli Kashyap, who became the first Indian shuttler to reach the quarter-finals of the Olympics Games, on Wednesday said he draws inspiration from London Games bronze medallist Saina Nehwal.
Kashyap, who received the Arjuna Award in a glittering ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhawan here today, also said he is aiming to break into the top-15 of world badminton ranking by the end of this year.
"Saina is my inspiration. The coach and Saina have inspired me a lot. She has paved the way for taking on the Chinese. My whole outlook has changed and I am not afraid of taking on Chinese shuttlers now," said Kashyap.
Kashyap, who lost his London Olympics quarterfinal match against World number two Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, said the Arjuna Award will inspire him to do well in China and Japan Open next month.
"I`ll be going to China and Japan in September and my goal is to reach the top 15 in the world by this year. I want to participate in the Super Series events but for that I would have to be in the top eight, that is a bit difficult," he said.
The World number 19 said he needs to improve his fitness level to reach the top of the rankings.
"I lack fitness and that`s one area where I have to work hard. Also I have to work on my tactical game."
Kashyap felt that the game required more funding to grow in the country.
"More funding is required for Indian badminton to reach the level where China is today. More juniors in the circuit would take the sport to the next level," he said.
Asked about his London experience, Kashyap said, "I have learnt one thing that ranking does not matter. You can beat anyone if you have the belief. You could make a strong player look like another player."
Meanwhile, women`s doubles player Ashwini Ponappa, who also received the Arjuna Award, said that she is looking forward to do well in World Championship and All England tournament next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!