Saina, Jayaram progress; Kashyap bows out of WBC
London Olympics bronze medallist Saina Nehwal stormed into the third round of the World Badminton Championship with a commanding straight game win over Natalia Perminova of Russia in women's singles here on Tuesday.
Copenhagen: London Olympics bronze medallist Saina Nehwal stormed into the third round of the World Badminton Championship with a commanding straight game win over Natalia Perminova of Russia in women's singles here on Tuesday.
Saina, seeded seventh, took just 31 minutes to dispose off Perminova 21-11 21-9. The Indian had earlier got a bye in the first round. She will next play the winner of the match between 13th seed Sayaka Takahashi of Japan and Bulgaria's Petya Nedelcheva.
Another Indian in the fray in women's singles, 11th seed P V Sindhu will take on Russia's Olga Golovanova in the second round tomorrow after she too got a bye in the opening round. In men's singles, Ajay Jayaram also progressed to the second round after receiving a walkover from fourth seed and higher-rated Kenichi Tago of Japan.
Jayaram will next face Thai shuttler Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk, who defeated Scotland's Kieran Merrilees 21-16 21-17 in his opening round. However, it turned out to be a disappointing outing for Commonwealth Games gold medallist Parupalli Kashyap as he crashed out in the first round of the men's singles event after suffering a shocking defeat against Dieter Domke of Germany last night.
The world number 27 Indian, who had clinched the biggest title of his career at Glasgow early this month, played his heart out before going down fighting 24-26 21-13 18-21 in a nerve-wrecking battle of attrition which lasted an hour and seven minutes. But the Indian mixed doubles pair of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan crossed the opening hurdle, beating Brazilian combination of Hugo Arthuso and Fabiana Silva 21-12 21-14. They will next take on sixth seed German pair of Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Oops! Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah gets kissed by woman in public — Watch video
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes