Saina, Kashyap enter quarterfinals of All England C`ship
Birmingham: Top Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap continued their winning run to reach the quarterfinals of the All England Championship with contrasting victories here.
World number three Saina defeated Belaetrix Manuputi of Indonesia 21-16 21-11 in a 34-minute women`s singles match at the National Indoor Arena here. The 22-year-old will next take on sixth seed Chinese Shixian Wang later in the day.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Kashyap notched up a stunning 21-18 21-12 victory over world number six Kenichi Tago in the men`s singles prequarterfinals. He had lost to the Japanese in the China Open in 2011.
The Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Indian will next take on second seed Chen Long of China. The Indian had lost thrice to Long but in their most recent encounter at the Indonesia Open last year, the Kashyap had an upperhand.
However, it was curtains for young shuttlers P V Sindhu and Sourabh Verma, who went down in straight games to superior opponents in the prequarterfinals last night.
World number 16 Sindhu suffered a 17-21 14-21 loss to fourth seed Juliane Schenk of Germany in a 39-minute women`s singles match here, while World number 43 Sourabh fought hard before going down 19-21 19-21 to number eight Vietnamese Tien Minh Nguyen.
The mixed doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and V Diju too crashed out of the tournament after a 17-21 16-21 loss to Polish pair of Robert Mateusiak and Nadiezda Zieba in the pre-quarterfinals.
In the women`s singles match, Saina put her smashes to good use to outclass the Indonesian, who played well at the nets but didn`t have enough strokes in her armoury to challenge the Indian.
After surging ahead with a 7-3 lead, Saina went into the breather at 11-7 but the Indonesian clawed back to make it 12-12. However, the Indian was unfazed and slowly marched ahead to pocket the first game.
In the second game, Saina was more dominating and was 11-2 up midway. After that, though Belaetrix tried her best, Saina didn`t give much chance to her unfancied rival.
Up against Tago, Kashyap used his smashes with precision and tried to match the Japanese at the nets.
The Indian opened up a 6-3 lead initially and made it 11-10 lead at the break. Tago soon clawed back at 12-12 but Kashyap didn`t allow him to get an upperhand to gain the bragging rights with a 1-0 lead.
In the second game, Kashyap was more dominating right from the start as after opening up a slim 4-3 lead, he kept widening the gap. Tago crumbled under pressure to eventually give Kashyap a comfortable win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly