Saina, Kashyap, Jayaram lose in Hong Kong Open
New Delhi: Top Indian shuttlers Saina Nehwal, P Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram on Thursday crashed out in the second round of the Hong Kong Super Series after suffering contrasting defeats to sum up a disappointing day for India.
While Olympic bronze-medallist Saina suffered a 19-21 15-21 defeat to former world number one Wang Lin in a women`s singles match, Ajay went down to world number one Lee Chong Wei 18-21 19-21.
Kashyap had to concede his match midway through the first game against Indonesian Tommy Sugiarto in the men`s singles competition due to pain in his abdomen.
World number three Saina was in for a shock as she failed to match 2010 world champion Wang with her smashes during her 37-minute duel at the Hong Kong Coliseum in Kowloon.
Saina, who returned to the court after skipping the China Masters last week because of a knee problem, was not in her elements as she had just five smash winners against 10 by the Chinese.
Wang, who holds a 3-2 record against Saina, brought the Indian close to the net and then used her smashes to good affect.
In the first game, Wang surged to a 4-1 lead but Saina clawed back at 6-6 and held the lead for 10 more points, before the Chinese surpassed her at the last moment.
In the second game, Wang didn`t give Saina any chance as she raced to 6-1 first and then held fort, leaving the Indian to do the catch up job.
Among other Indians, Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre suffered a 17-21 18-21 defeat to Thailand`s Duanganong Aroonkesorn and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul in the women`s doubles competition.
In mixed doubles, top seeded Chinese pair of Chen Xu and Jin Ma ended the journey of India`s Pranaav Chopra and Siki Reddy with a 21-16 21-10 victory.
Pranaav also had to taste defeat in the men`s doubles event when he and partner Akshay Dewalkar went down fighting 21-23 21-19 6-21 to the second seeded Chinese pair of Yun Cai and Haifeng FU.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees