Saina loses in Korea Open quarters
Seoul: The Indian challenge ended in the Korea Open Super Series Premier badminton tournament after Olympic bronze-medallist Saina Nehwal suffered a stunning quarterfinal loss to China`s Li Han here on Friday.
The third-seeded Indian went down 14-21 21-15 12-21 in a contest that lasted 59 minutes.
It was quite an upset for Saina, who had beaten Han in their previous two encounters.
The world number 26 Chinese seemed up for the challenge from the word go and matched Saina`s trademark smashes besides cornering her with some deft net-play to take the opening game with ease.
Saina came back strongly in the second to draw level but Han showed a lot of tenacity to outplay the Indian in the deciding third game.
The Chinese matched Saina stroke-for-stroke before edging ahead to end her losing streak against the world number three.
Earlier, Parupalli Kashyap and P V Sindhu had exited in the in the second round yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed