Saina loses second consecutive match
Shenzhen : World No.3 shuttler Saina Nehwal of India lost her second consecutive women`s singles Group B match in the $500,000 BWF World Super Series Finals against Thai Ratchanok Intanon in straight games here Thursday.
This loss virtually puts the London Olympics bronze medallist out of contention for the semifinals. She also lost her first group match against old rival Swiss Tine Baun Wednesday.
Ratchanok won the match with much ease, 21-13, 21-16 in 34 minutes at the China Resources Shenzhen Bay Sports Centre.
Seeded fourth, Saina did not look confident from the very start of the first game as the Thai took a 14-5 lead. The Indian fought back, winning seven consecutive points to reduce the lead to 14-12.
But at 15-13, Ratchanok took off with some fierce smashes to bag six points on the trot and most importantly the game.
Saina fought back well in the second game giving a good fight to the Thai. But a la the first game, at 16-all the Thai again took off winning the next five points to clinch the match.
Saina overall could not match the pace of the World No.9, who improved her head-to-head against the Indian to 2-4.
The Indian won a mere five points on smashes against Ratchanok`s 13. The Thai girl was supreme at the net too, winning 10 points to Saina`s two.
This was Saina`s first loss to the unseeded player since November 2011.
The Indian next plays old rival and World No.4 Juliane Schenk of Germany against whom Saina has won seven of the 10 times.
However, Saina`s qualification chances to the semifinals look bleak as she would need to win big against the German and rely on the outcome of the other group matches also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams