Saina makes quarters, Sourabh crashes out of Denmark Open
Odense : Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal kept the Indian interest alive at Denmark Super Series by progressing to the quarterfinals even as Sourabh Varma shocked world number eight before exiting the men`s singles event, here today.
Returning to action after two months, Saina scored a comfortable 21-15 21-14 over Japanese world number 28 Minatsu Mitani in the second round in just 20 minutes.
The 22-year-old India will next take on the winner of other pre-quarterfinal match between qualifier Lok Yan Poon and fifth seed Tine Baun tomorrow.
Saina took time to be in her elements but once in her zone, she was hardly troubled by her opponent. The Indian was lagging behind in the first game initially but soon gathered her composure to nose ahead.
In the second game, the Indian opened up a 4-0 lead and extended it to 11-4 in no time. Mitani did well to reel off six straight points and move to 10-11. But after the break, Saina crafted her way to seal the issue.
Saina hit 27 smash winners in comparison to the 19 by her opponent. The Indian, who has beaten Mitani twice before, was also better at the nets.
Rising Indian shuttler Sourabh Varma lost 19-21 17-21 to Indonesia`s Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the second round after battling for 44 minutes.
He had come into this contest after upsetting world number eight and home favourite Peter Hoeg Gade in straight games last night.
The 19-year-old Indian had prevailed 21-18 21-14 against the sixth-seeded former All England champion in a contest lasting 42 minutes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!