Saina Nehwal gets top billing for Swiss Open
Basel: Two-time defending champion Saina Nehwal has been seeded No.1 in women`s singles at the $125,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold which starts here Tuesday.
Saina, who lost in the semifinal of the All England Open Badminton Championships Saturday, won the tier three tournament in 2011 and 2012.
In 2011, the current World No.3 beat South Korea`s Sung Ji-hyun 21-13, 21-14 in the final. Last year she overcame nemesis Shixian Wang 21-19, 21-16 to clinch the only tier three title of March.
Shixian, who the Hyderabadi beat in the quarters of All England Friday, has also been drawn in Saina`s half of the main draw and a semifinal clash could be on the cards if both win the earlier rounds.
Rising shuttler P.V. Sindhu has also got direct qualification.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Parupalli Kashyap has been seeded fifth in men`s singles. The World No.9 got direct qualification alongside Sourabh Verma, wild card B. Sai Praneeth, H.S. Prannoy and K. Srikkanth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says