Saina Nehwal gets top billing for Swiss Open
Basel: Two-time defending champion Saina Nehwal has been seeded No.1 in women`s singles at the $125,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold which starts here Tuesday.
Saina, who lost in the semifinal of the All England Open Badminton Championships Saturday, won the tier three tournament in 2011 and 2012.
In 2011, the current World No.3 beat South Korea`s Sung Ji-hyun 21-13, 21-14 in the final. Last year she overcame nemesis Shixian Wang 21-19, 21-16 to clinch the only tier three title of March.
Shixian, who the Hyderabadi beat in the quarters of All England Friday, has also been drawn in Saina`s half of the main draw and a semifinal clash could be on the cards if both win the earlier rounds.
Rising shuttler P.V. Sindhu has also got direct qualification.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Parupalli Kashyap has been seeded fifth in men`s singles. The World No.9 got direct qualification alongside Sourabh Verma, wild card B. Sai Praneeth, H.S. Prannoy and K. Srikkanth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative