Saina Nehwal gets top billing for Swiss Open
Basel: Two-time defending champion Saina Nehwal has been seeded No.1 in women`s singles at the $125,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold which starts here Tuesday.
Saina, who lost in the semifinal of the All England Open Badminton Championships Saturday, won the tier three tournament in 2011 and 2012.
In 2011, the current World No.3 beat South Korea`s Sung Ji-hyun 21-13, 21-14 in the final. Last year she overcame nemesis Shixian Wang 21-19, 21-16 to clinch the only tier three title of March.
Shixian, who the Hyderabadi beat in the quarters of All England Friday, has also been drawn in Saina`s half of the main draw and a semifinal clash could be on the cards if both win the earlier rounds.
Rising shuttler P.V. Sindhu has also got direct qualification.
London Olympics quarterfinalist Parupalli Kashyap has been seeded fifth in men`s singles. The World No.9 got direct qualification alongside Sourabh Verma, wild card B. Sai Praneeth, H.S. Prannoy and K. Srikkanth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation