Saina Nehwal loses to Minatsu Mitani of Japan in Super Series Finals opener
Kuala Lumpur: Indian ace Saina Nehwal's poor form in the international arena continued as she lost to Japan's Minatsu Mitani 21-19 22-24 19-21 in a hard-fought three-game battle in her opening match of the BWF Superseries Finals here on tuesday.
World No. 6 Saina, who struggled with injuries this season, fought for 68 minutes before her Japanese rival got better of her.
Saina has been clubbed in Group B along with world No 1 and Olympic champion Li Xuerui of China, world No 7 Yeon Ju Bae of Korea, besides world No 13 Mitani during the December 11-15 year-end tournament, which is being fought among top eight performers from the 12-event Super Series circuit.
Top two players from Group A and B will advance to the semifinals. The winner of Group A will play against the runner-up of Group B, while the winner of Group B take on the runner-up of Group A in the semifinals for places in the final.
Saina hardly had to break sweat in the opening game today. From being tied at 7-7, the Hyderabad-based shuttler opened a 12-7 lead and eventually wrapped it up 21-19 in style.
Saina began the second game also with a bang as she straightaway opened up a 7-0 lead. But the Japanese reduced it to 5-7 before making it 11-11.
Thereafter, it was a neck-and-neck battle and finally it was Mitani who stole the game to take the match it to the decider.
In the final game, Saina once again took an upper hand early on and always managed to maintain a slight lead but Mitani came from behind to make it 17-17.
At 19-19, Saina's poor fitness became a reason for her downfall as Mitani closed the match with couple of winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'