Saina Nehwal reaches French Open Super Series final
Paris: Olympics bronze medallist shuttler Saina Nehwal stamped her authority to storm into the final of the French Super Series with a classy 21-19 21-8 victory over German Juliane Schenk in the semifinals of the women`s singles here on Saturday.
The 22-year-old Indian, who was meeting Juliane for the second time in two weeks, outclassed the German 21-19 21-8 in a 36-minute match, which saw some brilliant badminton. She will take on Minatsu Mitani of Japan in the finals tomorrow.
Saina, who had defeated Juliane in the finals of the Denmark Open last week in Odense, showed once again why she is revered as one of the best badminton player in the world as she hardly put a foot wrong in the Saturday`s game. The world number three was erratic initially and conceded a narrow 3-1 lead. But she soon bought up her down the line smashes and tosses and engaged Juliane in long rallies to make it 6-6.
Juliane tried to bring Saina to the nets and exerted herself to get behind the shuttles and moved into the break with a two-point cushion with the help of two cross-court smashes. After the breather, the German moved to a 15-10 lead with a couple of points at the nets and back of the court. Juliane was brilliant in her returns but she failed to judge the shuttle speed and kept hitting long to allow Saina claw back at 16-16.
There a brief interruption after Juliane was allowed to test the shuttle speed following her repeated requests to the chair umpire and on resumption, she immediately gathered three quick points to move to 19-16.
A delightful net stroke helped Saina to make it 17-19 and then what followed was a scintillating rally where Juliane lost her racquet while returing a shot to allow the Indian gather another point.
Saina then closed the deficit when Juliane`s return went to the net and then stamped her brilliance with two perfect net shots to nose ahead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi