Saina Nehwal reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open
Jakarta: India`s Saina Nehwal overcame a spirited challenge from Aprilla Yuswandari of Indonesia to enter the women`s singles quarter-finals of the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton event here Thursday.
The World NO.5 got past her 46th-ranked opponent 21-17, 14-21, 21-13 in a second round match, lasting 59 minutes. The Indian next plays higher-ranked Chinese Shixian Wang, who beat Singapore`s Juan Gu 21-12, 21-11.
Saina, who won the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold event Sunday, will go into Friday`s match with confidence. She leads Shixian 2-1 in their head-to-head record and most recently beat the World No.4 in straight games to win the Swiss Open in March.
Another Indian, P.V. Sindhu takes on Germany`s Juliane Schenk later in the day.
Meanwhile, India`s highest-ranked men`s player Ajay Jayaram lost his second round match to Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka of Indonesia 15-21, 14-21.
Parupalli Kashyap will face top seed Chen Long of China later Thursday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok