Saina Nehwal reaches semis of All England Championship
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Ace Indian shuttler and World No. 2 Saina Nehwal defeated sixth seed Chinese Shixian Wang 23-21, 19-21, 21-16 in the pre-quarterfinals of the All England Championship.
Saina saved a game point in the first set and surprised her opponent with some excellent play at the nets. Even in the second game, she was trailing by five points at one stage, but she once again produced a fight back that surprised the former World No. 1. But Wang dominated the later part of the second game and won it 21-19.
In the decisive game, Saina was leading 15-8 at one stage but the Chinese won four straight points from there and came back in the contest. Saina was leading 20-15 when Wang saved a match point and Saina won the next to win the match.
However, world number nine Parupalli Kashyap was defeated by second seed Chen Long 21-16 21-10 in the men's singles competition.
Saina had earlier defeated Belaetrix Manuputi of Indonesia in the second round of the women`s singles competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note