Saina, Prannoy, Srikanth enter quarterfinals of Thailand
Bangkok: Defending champion Saina Nehwal, H S Prannoy and K Srikanth on Thursday reached the quarterfinals of the Thailand Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament here.
Top seed Saina thrashed Indonesia`s Febby Angguni 21-12 21-11 in just over half an hour to set up a clash with eighth seed Juan Gu of Singapore. Juan beat compatriot Xiaoyu Liang 21-13 21-11 in another prequarterfinal match.
In men`s singles, Prannoy bounced from a game down to prevail over fellow Indian 10th seed Anand Pawar 19-21 21-13 21-15, while 13th seed K Srikanth defeated Hwang Jong Soo of Korea 21-19 21-15 in another match.
However, Sai Praneeth B lost to Indonesia`s Wisnu Yuli Prasetyo 18-21 21-16 19-21 to crash out of the tournament.
Febby was no match for Saina as the world number two Indian reeled off seven points to open up a huge 7-0 lead and then held her fort to pocket the game.
In the second game, Febby took two points early on but Saina didn`t give any chance to the Indonesian thereafter as she pocketed seven straight points to reach 11-3 and eventually seal the issue without much ado.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Will give 'all justifications' for 8.8% EPF interest rate: Dattatreya
- Are you or people around you happy or sad? Twitter has the answer!
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah