Saina regains number four spot in world ranking
New Delhi: Riding on her semifinal finish at the Japan Open Super Series, Saina Nehwal on Thursday improved a rung to be placed fourth in the latest world badminton ranking.
While the 21-year-old Saina was stunned by Germany`s Juliane Schenk in the last-four stage in Japan, she could not advance beyond the quarterfinals of the World Badminton Championship and China Masters.
Commonwealth Games bronze medallist P Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram, who had a decent quarterfinal finish at the world championship, also surged one place ahead in the ranking to be placed 22nd and 24th respectively.
Jwala Gutta and V Diju, who reached the semifinals of China Masters, zoomed six places to 29th place, while Jwala abd Ashini Ponnappa were in 16th position, improving two places in the latest ranking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr