Saina sails into quarters of Indonesia Open Super Series
Jakarta: Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal cruised into the women`s singles quarterfinals of the USD 750,000 Indonesia Open Super Series even as India`s challenge ended in the women`s doubles event with the ouster of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa, here on Thursday.
Saina, seeded eighth, had a relatively easy outing against Kirsty Gilmour as the Indian took just 36 minutes to sent her rival packing 21-17 21-9 to take a 3-0 career lead over the world no. 17 Scottish shuttler at the Istora Gelora Bung Karno Stadium.
But a Herculean task awaits Saina, the three-time winner here, in the next round as she takes on world no.1 Li Xuerui of China tomorrow.
Saina has a 2-6 win-loss record against the top seeded reigning Olympic champion.
However, it was curtains for India in the women`s doubles event as the fancied pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa lost to South Korea`s Ye Na Jang and So Young Kim in the second round.
The combination of Jwala and Ashwini fought hard before losing 21-16 15-21 21-12 in 45 minutes against their fifth seeded South Korean opponents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan