Saina says she was confident of winning start
New Delhi: Saina Nehwal said she was aware of the shortcomings of her rival as she made a confident start to the Indian Open Super Series by defeating Hong Kong?s Pui Yin Yip 21-14, 21-6, here on Wednesday.
"I have defeated her for the third or fourth time easily. I am confident of my smashes and I settled quickly today. She doesn`t defend well and made some easy mistakes. I think she has a mental block because she generally plays well against the top seeds," Saina said.
Saina though said she never took her rival lightly.
"She sometimes is very erratic. But you have to be always up on your feet as she can change her game anytime. In the first set she was good. She plays fast and her smashes are very dangerous," she said.
"The court was very fast today. Usually we are more used to playing in slower courts but today the shuttle was going out and going sideways too often, so I had to play with a lot more control," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends