Saina, Sindhu not to participate in China Masters
New Delhi: Top Indian shuttlers, including Saina Nehwal and P.V. Sindhu, will not participate in the upcoming China Masters Super Series to be held Sep 10-15, an official said Tuesday.
Only men`s singles shuttlers Ajay Jayaram and Anand Pawar will be going for the Tier-II event to be held in Changzhou.
"We took a decision on this some time back and did not send our entries. The international calendar is packed with several tournaments and our shuttlers need time to rest. They will be training during that time and will play in the Japan Open Super Series. The players who are participating in China are going in their own capacity," Badminton Association of India (BAI) vice-president T.P.S. Puri told IANS.
The Japan Open Super Series will be held in Tokyo Sep 17-22.
World Championship bronze medallist P.V. Sindhu said it was the decision of the chief national coach Pullela Gopichand.
"Our coach decides which tournaments we are to play and he decided we won`t be going for China," Sindhu told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video