Saina, Sindhu not to participate in China Masters
New Delhi: Top Indian shuttlers, including Saina Nehwal and P.V. Sindhu, will not participate in the upcoming China Masters Super Series to be held Sep 10-15, an official said Tuesday.
Only men`s singles shuttlers Ajay Jayaram and Anand Pawar will be going for the Tier-II event to be held in Changzhou.
"We took a decision on this some time back and did not send our entries. The international calendar is packed with several tournaments and our shuttlers need time to rest. They will be training during that time and will play in the Japan Open Super Series. The players who are participating in China are going in their own capacity," Badminton Association of India (BAI) vice-president T.P.S. Puri told IANS.
The Japan Open Super Series will be held in Tokyo Sep 17-22.
World Championship bronze medallist P.V. Sindhu said it was the decision of the chief national coach Pullela Gopichand.
"Our coach decides which tournaments we are to play and he decided we won`t be going for China," Sindhu told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened