Saina slips to seventh spot in BWF ranking
New Delhi: The second-round exit from French Open Super Series proved costly for Saina Nehwal as the Indian badminton ace continued her downward slide, slipping one more spot to be placed at world number seven in the latest BWF ranking released on Thursday.
The Olympic bronze medallist shuttler had slipped to world number six last week after failing to defend her title at Denmark Open.
The 23-year-old had lost to World No. 6 Ji Hyun Sung in the quarterfinals of the Premier tournament after she slipped and hurt her ankle in the third game.
But last week in Paris, Saina had lost in the second round to Korea`s Yeon Ju Bae at French Open, where she had reached the finals last year.
The Hyderabadi, who has been bothered by injuries and could not win a title this season, currently has 62010 points in her kitty. She is ranked second in the Super Series ranking, which is considered for deciding the line-up for the year-end BWF Super Series Final in December.
Among others, P V Sindhu has improved one place to be back at her 10th spot with 52352 ranking points, while men`s singles player Parupalli Kashyap lost one place to slip to world number 12.
RMV Gurusaidutt improved two places to break into the top 20. He is now the second best Indian at 19th spot, while Ajay Jayaram is next at 26th place. Rising shuttler K Srikanth also jumped three places to be at 27th spot in the latest ranking.
B Sai Praneeth improved four places to be at 36th spot, while and Anand Pawar is at 33rd place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...