Saina survives a scare in Indonesia Super Series opener
Jakarta: Defending champion Saina Nehwal survived a scare in her campaign opener as she struggled past Indonesia`s Lindaweni Fanetri in an energy-sapping three game thriller at the Indonesian Super Series Premier here on Tuesday.
World number two Saina had to play out of her skin against the 14th ranked Fanetri, who posed a huge threat to the Indian before surrendering 17-21 29-27 13-21 in an hour and 14 minutes in a women`s singles first round match at the Istora Gelora Bung Karno Stadium here.
The 23-year-old from Hyderabad will take on the winner of the match between Sayaka Takahashi of Japan and Thailand`s Porntip Buranaprasertsuk in the prequarterfinals tomorrow.
Saina, seeded second, relied on her smashes, while Fanetri dominated the net play.
In the opening game, Fanetri was leading 5-2 initially and it was only from tied 9-9 that Saina could get ahead of the Indonesian even though she was always breathing down her neck.
The 24-year-old Indonesian, egged on by the local crowd, raised her game and engaged in a fierce battle and went into the breather with a slender 11-9 advantage in the second game.
Saina battled on and turned the tables at 15-15 but even though she was just two points away from pocketing the match, Fanetri clawed back at the right time and eventually roared back into the contest after an intense fight till the end.
However, in the decider, Saina showed why she is considered to be one of the best in the business. While the gruelling second game took a toll on Fanetri, Saina`s fitness came to her rescue as she zoomed ahead to a 5-0 lead. Thereafter the Indian just didn`t allow the Indonesian to come close and at the end won the issue comfortably.
In the mixed doubles, world number 29 pair of Tarun Kona and Ashwini Ponnappa prevailed over Praveen Jordan and Vita Marissa, ranked 30, 21-18 14-21 25-23 in a 53-minute engrossing battle.
The Indian pair will face the seventh seeded Polish combo of Robert Mateusiak and Nadiezda Zieba in the prequarterfinals tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Beware, workaholics: Excessive working may elevate depression, anxiety
- Sidharth, Alia perfect for 'Aashiqui 3': Mukesh Bhatt
- Domestic black money window will ensure peace of mind: IT dept
- HTC 10 smartphone launched in India at Rs 52,990
- Rio Olympics: Police train dogs to sniff out terror threat at biggest sporting extravaganza