Saina through to quarters of Swiss Open Grand Prix
Basel: India`s ace shuttler Saina Nehwal stormed into the quarter-final of the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton tournament, with a straight game win over of Petya Nedelcheva of Bulgaria.
Saina, who is the defending champion and top seed , took exactly half an hour to get the better of Nedelcheva 21-15 21-10 in the pre-quarterfinals of the women`s singles event late last night.
By virtue of this win, Saina, who reclaimed World No 2 position yesterday, took a 6-2 head-to-head lead over 23rd ranked Nedelcheva.
Saina will next face sixth seeded Tzu Ying Tai of Chinese Taipei in the quarterfinal later today.
Barring Saina, curtains fell on India`s challenge in the tournament as all other shuttlers from the country made early exits.
Rising star P V Sindhu made an exit from the tournament after losing to qualifier Yui Hashimito of Japan 21-23 11-21 in a second round contest of the women`s singles event.
London Olympics quarter-finalist Parupalli Kashyap also crashed out in the pre-quarterfinal of the men`s singles event after losing to Wei Feng Chong of Malaysia yesterday.
The fifth seeded Indian squandered a game advantage to lose to his ninth-seeded opponent 21-18 7-21 16-21 in a 55-minute contest.
In another men`s singles pre-quarterfinal match, H S Prannoy lost to Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei 16-21 21-15 15-21 in an hour`s contest.
In men`s doubles, the Indian duo of Pranav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar was handed a straight-game defeat by the Korean top seeds Sung Hyun Ko and Yong Dae Lee, who won 21-14 21-12.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani