Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event
Belgrade: Seasoned boxer Paramjeet Samota and prodigy Shiva Thapa clinched gold medals at the Belgrade Winner tournament on Sunday.
Samota, competing in the super heavyweight category, had to fight hard against Marceta Mane of Bosnia and Herzegovina, but the 22 year old continued to attack and in the end went on to take the yellow metal on individual score as the bout was tied at 6 all after three rounds. He defeated the experienced Rustam Rygebayev of Kazakhstan in the semifinal. Samota had also won the gold at the Commonwealth Games last year.
Meanwhile, Thapa, playing his very first international tournament on the senior tour, was two points behind by the end of the second round in the final. But the 17-year-old came back hard in the third defeating Bulgarian, Delaklive Detelin to be crowned the champion in the bantamweight category.
Thapa was the silver medallist at the Youth World Boxing Championships last year.
Manpreet Singh, the silver medallist at the 2010 Asian Games earned a bronze medal for his performance in the heavyweight category. He lost to Pulev Tervel of Bulgaria in the semifinal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket