Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event
Belgrade: Seasoned boxer Paramjeet Samota and prodigy Shiva Thapa clinched gold medals at the Belgrade Winner tournament on Sunday.
Samota, competing in the super heavyweight category, had to fight hard against Marceta Mane of Bosnia and Herzegovina, but the 22 year old continued to attack and in the end went on to take the yellow metal on individual score as the bout was tied at 6 all after three rounds. He defeated the experienced Rustam Rygebayev of Kazakhstan in the semifinal. Samota had also won the gold at the Commonwealth Games last year.
Meanwhile, Thapa, playing his very first international tournament on the senior tour, was two points behind by the end of the second round in the final. But the 17-year-old came back hard in the third defeating Bulgarian, Delaklive Detelin to be crowned the champion in the bantamweight category.
Thapa was the silver medallist at the Youth World Boxing Championships last year.
Manpreet Singh, the silver medallist at the 2010 Asian Games earned a bronze medal for his performance in the heavyweight category. He lost to Pulev Tervel of Bulgaria in the semifinal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city