Sandipan Chanda in joint lead at Dubai Open Chess
Dubai: Indian Grandmaster Sandipan Chanda scored a swift victory over Russian Elmira Mirzoeva to remain in joint lead after the third round of the 14th Dubai International Chess Open here.
Playing the black side of a Benko Gambit, Chanda was happy that his sacrifice was not accepted by Elmira, who had caused an upset in the second round defeating Sahaj Grover.
The middle game was level but after trading a couple of major pieces, the Russian woman found the going tough as Sandipan invaded with her queen. The game lasted 39 moves.
Chanda now shares the lead with Ni Hua of China, Kravtsiv Martyn of Ukraine, and Georgian trio of Baadur Jobava, Levan Pantsulaia and Mikheil Mchedlishvili, who all have three points apiece.
As many as 22 players share the sixth spot in the USD 50000 prize money tournament. Prominent Indians amongst them are Grandmasters G N Gopal, M R Lalith Babu and International Masters P Shyam Nikil and Tania Sachdev.
The higher ranked Indians yet again had a tough day in office as defending champion Abhijeet Gupta could not break the ice against compatriot Akshayraj Kore and had to settle for a draw.
Grandmaster Parimarjan Negi was also in similar shoes as he could not attain much with white against talented Ankit Rajpara and had to settle for a draw, while Grandmaster Surya Shekhar Ganguly faced stiff resistance from Iranian Ebrahim Ahmadinia before signing peace.
Gupta, Negi and Ganguly are all on two points each with six rounds still remaining in one of the strongest Asian open.
Kore, infact, remained in hunt for his second Grandmaster norm following a draw with Abhijeet Gupta.
It was an English opening by Kore with white and though Gupta got an advantage it was important to play precisely at key moments in the game. A small slip led to a level endgame and the draw was a just result.
Like Kore, Vishnu Prasanna also continued with his good run and drew with second seed Loek Van Wely without much ado.
Both Kore and Prasanna have had identical results so far as in previous round, Kore had drawn against Van Wely while Prasanna held Gupta.
Among other Indians in the fray, Tania drew with Urkainian Grandmaster Alexander Kovchan. The game was fought till the last after Tania recovered from a pawn less endgame arising out of a French defense.
Shyam Nikil also did well to hold Zaven Andriasian of Armenia while Swapnil Dhopade was impressive with black after he shared points with Egyptian GM Amin Bassem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in