Sania, Yuvraj, Bopanna – all going crazy about Ice Bucket Challenge
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, which is an awareness drive, that started in America, has now become a rage in social media worldwide.
The Bucket Challenge is a campaign to raise awareness about a neurodegenerative disease called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig`s disease, which is characterised by muscle spasticity, weakness due to muscle atrophy, difficulty in speaking, swallowing and breathing.
In the Ice Bucket Challenge, the participants must dump a bucket of ice water over their heads, but if they can`t brave the chill, the alternative is to donate 100 dollars to the ALS Association.
World known personalities like Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Cristiano Ronaldo and Oprah Winfrey have already taken up the challenge and now the Indian sports personalities are also finding themselves gripped by the Ice Bucket fever.
Reportedly, Indian Tennis player Rohan Bopanna was the one who started this challenge in India, when he was nominated by former tennis player Amrit Narsimhan.
Bopanna then nominated Bengaluru Football Club along with actor Rahul Bose after completing his challenge successfully.
— Rohan Bopanna (@rohanbopanna) August 17, 2014
Later, Bengaluru FC completed their challenge in a group form, and nominated star shuttler Ashwini Ponappa, Tennis ace Sania Mirza and dashing cricketer Yuvraj Singh.
Interestingly, Mirza had to take the challenge twice as her bucket did not have enough water. Then she challenged other sportspersons like Cara Black, Mahesh Bhupathi, Yuvraj Singh and few others.
— Sania Mirza (@MirzaSania) August 18, 2014
Ponappa immediately challenged her doubles partner Jwala Gutta after completing the task.
— Ashwini Ponnappa (@P9Ashwini) August 19, 2014
Tennis player Bhupathi too nominated his coach Scott Davidoff, shooter Abhinav Bindra, along with Abhishek Bachchan and all the members of the Kabaddi team Jaipur Pink Panthers.
The bucket challenge has gone viral and it`s almost impossible for anyone to miss it on social media - be it videos or photos. We hope with every passing day more sportspersons will try to join this cause to make it a big hit in India.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional