Santosh, Madal Lal win in national boxing championship
Chennai: National Games silver medallist Santosh Harijan opened his campaign with a brilliant win against Vijay Dobale of Maharashtra in the 58th Senior men`s National boxing championship.
The Goan boxer, who has had a favourable year with a gold medal in Indonesian and a bronze in Kazakhstan, was once again seen in exceptional form in the Fly weight division.
His hard hitting punches proved to be a potent weapon against Dobale. Harijan secured a win and a spot in the next round with a score of 10:5.
In the same category, reigning national champion Madan Lal playing for the IBF team had no trouble breaking through the brittle defence of Rajnish Sharma. The 20-year-old boxer from Haryana was leading 4-0 in the first round, when M Bhardwaj, the referee of the bout, decided to spare Sharma of any further agony awarding the victory to Lal.
In the bantam weight class, promising young boxer from Assam, Shiva Thapa sailed into the second round defeating A Sudarshan of Chhattisgarh.
Thapa, a gold medallist at the 2011 Belgrade Winner, completely outclassed Sudarshan, in the end winning the bout 16-7. Service boxer Chhote Lal Yadav went up against Deva Naik of Goa in his opening round bout. The feisty 2010 South Asian boxing champion, with his nimble footwork and quick reflexes overpowered Naik and beat him 17-7 to advance to the next round.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy