Santosh, Madal Lal win in national boxing championship
Chennai: National Games silver medallist Santosh Harijan opened his campaign with a brilliant win against Vijay Dobale of Maharashtra in the 58th Senior men`s National boxing championship.
The Goan boxer, who has had a favourable year with a gold medal in Indonesian and a bronze in Kazakhstan, was once again seen in exceptional form in the Fly weight division.
His hard hitting punches proved to be a potent weapon against Dobale. Harijan secured a win and a spot in the next round with a score of 10:5.
In the same category, reigning national champion Madan Lal playing for the IBF team had no trouble breaking through the brittle defence of Rajnish Sharma. The 20-year-old boxer from Haryana was leading 4-0 in the first round, when M Bhardwaj, the referee of the bout, decided to spare Sharma of any further agony awarding the victory to Lal.
In the bantam weight class, promising young boxer from Assam, Shiva Thapa sailed into the second round defeating A Sudarshan of Chhattisgarh.
Thapa, a gold medallist at the 2011 Belgrade Winner, completely outclassed Sudarshan, in the end winning the bout 16-7. Service boxer Chhote Lal Yadav went up against Deva Naik of Goa in his opening round bout. The feisty 2010 South Asian boxing champion, with his nimble footwork and quick reflexes overpowered Naik and beat him 17-7 to advance to the next round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal