Sardar hopes for a good beginning in action-packed year
New Delhi: Aiming for top-five finish in the Hero Hockey World League, India captain Sardar Singh today said his team is prepared for the tough challenge despite being young and inexperienced.
"We are a young team and still learning. We have prepared well for the tournament. We have a tough challenge ahead of us. Hopefully the boys will be at their best. We are hoping for a 4th-5th place finish. But we will have to work really hard for it," Sardar said at the Trophy
unveiling ceremony of the inaugural edition of the competition.
Participating teams are viewing this competition as a platform to assess their preparation for the FIH Hockey World Cup in Hague this May.
"We have an exciting year ahead. There couldn`t have been a better opportunity to test ourselves in a competition like this. We have high hopes from this year. Hopefully the team will also step up to the challenge," he said.
Seven top nations, besides India, would be vying for the title in the tournament to be held at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium from January 10.
India face England in their opening pool encounter on the opening day. The Indian side, which last played at the Asia Cup in September, will be competing in the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games besides the World Cup later this year.
"There are lot of important tournaments lined up for us. We would want to build some momentum in this tournament to have successful year," he added.
All captains of the participating nations were present at the ceremony to unveil the trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- Usain Bolt was poor, eating beef helped him win nine medals in Olympics: BJP MP Udit Raj
- After Gilgit, PoK and Balochistan, 'azaadi' slogans resonate in Pakistan's Sindh – Watch