Sardar Singh, Raghunath fetch highest prices at HIL auction
New Delhi: India`s captain and one of the marquee players, Sardar Singh was sold to Delhi Wave Riders for the highest price of $78,000 while Bangalore`s V.R. Raghunath fetched the second highest price of $76,000 for Uttar Pradesh Wizards here at the Hockey India League (HIL) players` auction Sunday.
Raghunath`s reserve price was $13,900 before the Lucknow-based outfit snapped him up for the second highest figure at the auction.
Other marquee players sold at the auction were German Moritz Suertse for $75,500 to Ranchi Rhinos, world`s most capped player Teun de Nooijer of the Netherlands to Lucknow-based Uttar Pradesh Wizards for $66,000, and Australian Jamie Dwyer to Jaypee Punjab Warriors at $60,000.
India`s second marquee player and drag-flick specialist Sandeep Singh, who was touted to be sold for the highest price, went for his reserve price of $27,800 to Mumbai Magicians.
Other important Indian players sold at the auction were S.V. Sunil (Punjab for $42,000), Yuvraj Walmiki (Delhi for $18,000), and Shivendra Singh (Punjab for $27,500).
Mumbai`s Tushar Khandekar was sold for only $100 more than his reserve price of $13,900 to Uttar Pradesh while S.K. Uthappa went to Uttar Pradesh for $25,000 and Gurbaj Singh to Delhi for $36,000.
Ignace Tirkey, who had a reserve price of $13,900, went to Punjab for $31,000 while Rupinder Pal Singh, with a base price of $9,250, was sold to Uttar Pradesh for $56000.
Unlike cricket`s Indian Premier League (IPL), there were no problems with the auction of Pakistani players as the Mumbai franchisee bought Fareed Ahmed for $21,000 and Mohammed Rashid for $41,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees