Satya Prakash and Sudha Singh win Kolkata Marathon titles
Kolkata: Satya Prakash from Services and Sudha Singh from Railways emerged champions in the men`s and women`s section respectively as about 12,000 people competed in different events of the Kolkata Marathon, here on Sunday.
Watched by West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan, former Indian cricket captain Sourav Ganguly and other celebrities, the race was also organised to raise fund for Tata Medical Centre for Cancer at New Town in northern suburb of the city.
Satya Prakash from Army Signal Centre, Jabalpur took 2 hours 19 minutes 30 seconds to win the 42 km race which began from Indira Gandhi Sarani in down town Kolkata and ended there after passing through different parts in and around the city.
Patle Kajilal Vinilog and Pralhad Sahay Meena also from same place finished second and third clocking 2 hour 9 minute 42 sec and 2 hour 21 minute 30 sec.
In the 11 km mini marathon, meant for women, former Asian Games champion Sudha Singh timed 38 m 04.3 seconds to finish ahead of others. Sudha was followed by Ritu Paul, also from railways and Rohini Rout from Maharashtra. Ritu clocked 38m51.4 sec and Rohini timed 39m 11.5 seconds.
Satya Prakash earned a prize money of Rs 3.30 lakh while Sudha became richer by Rs 1.10 lakh. Sourav Ganguly and city police commissioner Surajit Kar Purakayastha flagged off the events which saw more 206 and 154 competitors joining the men and women events.
Rest of the participants out of total 12,000 joined the 4.5 km fun run meant for school children, corporate personnel and other persons which was flagged off by M K Narayanan.
Commenting on his victory, an ecstatic Satya Prakash said "I am very very happy to win this race which happened to my biggest victory so far. My next aim is to compete at the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow and do well there."
Sudha, who earlier won the gold in Guong Jhaw, China, said, "this win here would help her preparation for the next Commonwealth Games. In the last Commonwealth Games I could not perform to my satisfaction. I shall be now joining the camp at Bangalore. My target now is to earn a medal at Glasgow Commonwealth."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Three detained by police
- WATCH: SHOCKING! When Ashish Nehra abused Mahendra Singh Dhoni for dropping Shahid Afridi's catch
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages
- Tibet govt-in-exile in Dharamsala unpopular among Tibetans: China