Saurav beats Robbie in 85-min thriller in Egypt
New Delhi: Top Indian squash player Saurav Ghosal notched up a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Robbie Temple of England at the USD 120,000 El Gouna International Open at in El Gouna, Egypt on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old Indian defeated Robbie 8-11, 9-11, 11-9, 11-7, 11-4 in a match that lasted 85 minutes at the lovely Movenpick Resort.
He will be up against his training partner James Willstrop of England in his next match of the tournament, which was first launched in October 2010.
India`s number one Ghosal had lost to Willstrop at the Canary Wharf Classic tournament last month. The left-handed qualifier Englishman was quick off his blocks and made headway in the opening games and sailed through the first two games easily.
Ghosal lifted his game and made a strong comeback in the third and the fourth game with relative ease. Ghosal made an aggressive start to the fifth game and he took the final set extremely comfortably to win the 85 minutes thriller to advance to the last sixteen.
"I had to dig pretty hard to win this," said Ghosal.
"Winning the 3rd helped, but he was still in it. In the 4th, I had a good spell, and I started to believe, felt more confident. And physically, I felt fine," he added.
The Final Score : Saurav Ghosal BEATS Robbie Temple 8/11, 9/11, 11/9, 11/7, 11/4 (85 mins).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened