Saurav enters round 2, Chinappa qualifies for main draw
New Delhi: India`s Saurav Ghosal defeated Jonathan Kemp in the opening round of the men`s competition today while Joshana Chinappa qualified for the women`s main draw, at the Allam British Open Squash Championships in Hull, England.
Ghosal, ranked 19 in the world, sailed past the the Englishman 11-9, 11-6, 11-6 to move into pre-quarterfinals at the KC Stadium.
He will take on the winner of the match between fourth seed Gregory Gaultier or Alister Walker, tomorrow.
"I am just glad to get through in three games against someone as talented as Kemp. He doesn`t give you any rhythm to play with, so I just had to keep it as tight as I could and he wasn`t able to do what he sometimes can - last time we played it was 11/9 in the fifth," Ghosal was quoted as saying by the tournament website.
In the women`s category, 26th-ranked Chinappa resisted a tough challenge from Deon Saffery (48) of Wales, to emerge winner by 11-13, 11-9, 11-9, 11-5 and enter the main draw.
"I hope that my game has improved, I`ve been training very hard with Ritwick (Bhattacharya) for about a year and a half now, since I came back from a knee injury. And we started from scratch really, from fitness to spending more time on court," Chinappa said.
India`s highest ranked player Dipika Pallikal (15) will play her first round match against Denmark`s Line Hansen (22) tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city