Scotland, Argentina, Colombia shortlisted for 2018 Youth Olympic Games
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Switzerland: International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge announced that Scottish city Glasgow, Argentine capital Buenos Aires and Colombia’s Medellin have been shortlisted as the final candidates to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games.
The 12-day sporting event is set to feature up to 3600 athletes, aged 15 to 18, taking part in 28 sporting events. While IOC will make their final decision in July, Glasgow is already though to be an attractive options, especially given the fact that the city will be hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games and London, the capital of the UK, hosted last year’s memorable Olympic Games.
Lord Seb Coe, chairman of the British Olympic Association, said: "Glasgow cannot only stage a compact, sustainable and financially sound Youth Olympic Games, but take a unique journey in history hand-in-hand with the Olympic movement fuelled by the passion and warmth of Scotland."
The Scottish sports minister, Shona Robison, also lauded the youth who have helped in preparing for this bid: "Glasgow 2018 will put the aspirations and talents of young people at the centre of the Games, and my congratulations go to the young people at the heart of the bid."
The bid is also being backed by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who visited Glasgow last year to see the preparations.
"This is fantastic news for Glasgow and a massive vote of confidence in the UK`s ability to host major sporting events,” he said upon hearing yesterday’s news, “When I visited Glasgow last year to back the bid, I was impressed by the commitment and dedication of the team who are working so hard to win the bid."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- India to test sub-scale demonstrator scramjet engine in 2016
- PSBs capital needs significantly higher than budgeted: Moody's
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar's daughter in trauma after BSP workers abuse her
- Samsung hits back at China's Huawei with patent suit
- India ranks 110th on Sustainable Development index