Scotland, Argentina, Colombia shortlisted for 2018 Youth Olympic Games
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Switzerland: International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge announced that Scottish city Glasgow, Argentine capital Buenos Aires and Colombia’s Medellin have been shortlisted as the final candidates to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games.
The 12-day sporting event is set to feature up to 3600 athletes, aged 15 to 18, taking part in 28 sporting events. While IOC will make their final decision in July, Glasgow is already though to be an attractive options, especially given the fact that the city will be hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games and London, the capital of the UK, hosted last year’s memorable Olympic Games.
Lord Seb Coe, chairman of the British Olympic Association, said: "Glasgow cannot only stage a compact, sustainable and financially sound Youth Olympic Games, but take a unique journey in history hand-in-hand with the Olympic movement fuelled by the passion and warmth of Scotland."
The Scottish sports minister, Shona Robison, also lauded the youth who have helped in preparing for this bid: "Glasgow 2018 will put the aspirations and talents of young people at the centre of the Games, and my congratulations go to the young people at the heart of the bid."
The bid is also being backed by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who visited Glasgow last year to see the preparations.
"This is fantastic news for Glasgow and a massive vote of confidence in the UK`s ability to host major sporting events,” he said upon hearing yesterday’s news, “When I visited Glasgow last year to back the bid, I was impressed by the commitment and dedication of the team who are working so hard to win the bid."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in