Scotland, Argentina, Colombia shortlisted for 2018 Youth Olympic Games
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Switzerland: International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge announced that Scottish city Glasgow, Argentine capital Buenos Aires and Colombia’s Medellin have been shortlisted as the final candidates to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games.
The 12-day sporting event is set to feature up to 3600 athletes, aged 15 to 18, taking part in 28 sporting events. While IOC will make their final decision in July, Glasgow is already though to be an attractive options, especially given the fact that the city will be hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games and London, the capital of the UK, hosted last year’s memorable Olympic Games.
Lord Seb Coe, chairman of the British Olympic Association, said: "Glasgow cannot only stage a compact, sustainable and financially sound Youth Olympic Games, but take a unique journey in history hand-in-hand with the Olympic movement fuelled by the passion and warmth of Scotland."
The Scottish sports minister, Shona Robison, also lauded the youth who have helped in preparing for this bid: "Glasgow 2018 will put the aspirations and talents of young people at the centre of the Games, and my congratulations go to the young people at the heart of the bid."
The bid is also being backed by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who visited Glasgow last year to see the preparations.
"This is fantastic news for Glasgow and a massive vote of confidence in the UK`s ability to host major sporting events,” he said upon hearing yesterday’s news, “When I visited Glasgow last year to back the bid, I was impressed by the commitment and dedication of the team who are working so hard to win the bid."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark