Scotland shocks India in World Team Squash C`ship
New Delhi: The ninth-seeded Indian team was stunned 0-3 by a lower-ranked Scotland before it bounced back to blank Venezuela by the same margin in the qualifying event of the World Team Squash Championships in Odense, Denmark.
Seeded outside the top 16, Scotland featured players ranked much below the Indians but Ritwik Bhattacharya, Gaurav Nandrajog and Harinder Pal Sandhu lost their pool openers before staging a comeback.
The defeat to Scotland means India must now beat tournament favourites Italy today to have a chance of finishing second in the pool and getting into the top 16 playoffs, which would ensure them an easier draw and valuable ranking points.
As many as 28 nations are competing in the qualifying event divided into seven groups which will finally produce a team order from 1-28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'