Scotland shocks India in World Team Squash C`ship
New Delhi: The ninth-seeded Indian team was stunned 0-3 by a lower-ranked Scotland before it bounced back to blank Venezuela by the same margin in the qualifying event of the World Team Squash Championships in Odense, Denmark.
Seeded outside the top 16, Scotland featured players ranked much below the Indians but Ritwik Bhattacharya, Gaurav Nandrajog and Harinder Pal Sandhu lost their pool openers before staging a comeback.
The defeat to Scotland means India must now beat tournament favourites Italy today to have a chance of finishing second in the pool and getting into the top 16 playoffs, which would ensure them an easier draw and valuable ranking points.
As many as 28 nations are competing in the qualifying event divided into seven groups which will finally produce a team order from 1-28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank