Scotland shocks India in World Team Squash C`ship
New Delhi: The ninth-seeded Indian team was stunned 0-3 by a lower-ranked Scotland before it bounced back to blank Venezuela by the same margin in the qualifying event of the World Team Squash Championships in Odense, Denmark.
Seeded outside the top 16, Scotland featured players ranked much below the Indians but Ritwik Bhattacharya, Gaurav Nandrajog and Harinder Pal Sandhu lost their pool openers before staging a comeback.
The defeat to Scotland means India must now beat tournament favourites Italy today to have a chance of finishing second in the pool and getting into the top 16 playoffs, which would ensure them an easier draw and valuable ranking points.
As many as 28 nations are competing in the qualifying event divided into seven groups which will finally produce a team order from 1-28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister