Scottish swimmer Michael Jamieson slams `lenient treatment` of Tyson Gay despite failed drug test
London: Scottish swimming star Michael Jamieson has said that American sprinter Tyson Gay has received a light punishment over his failed drug test.
The former world 100m champion received a one-year backdated ban after testing positive for a banned steroid although his ban was shorter as he co-operated with the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
According to the BBC, the 2012 Olympic silver medallist voiced his disgruntlement over Gay`s apparently lenient treatment over Twitter, saying that although an athlete can take certain cold remedies and face serious suspensions, he however, is banned for only a year despite failing tests for testosterone.
Jamieson further said that the former world champion`s suspension, coupled with the ban of Asafa Powell, makes the glamorous sport very difficult to believe in and undermines efforts to clean up the sport.
However, the swimmer added that it will be just a `tap on the wrist` for Gay in the US, where he will be celebrated, adding that the entire fiasco shows that there is no real desire to tackle doping in sports.
Former 100m and 200m world champion Gay, who could have faced a two-year ban, is eligible to return next month, and can also compete in future Olympics and World Championships with his suspension backdated to June 23, the date he tested positive at the US World Championship trials, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city