Scuffle breaks out in PCI meeting
New Delhi: A scuffle broke out between the rival factions of the Paralympic Committee of India during its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Friday.
The AGM was indefinitely postponed after PCI President Sultan Ahmed informed the members that a Bangalore-based court has restrained the body from holding any meeting.
Secretary Paralympic Committee of Haryana, Giriraj Singh, and Shivajee Kumar of Bihar unit protested against the body`s decision to defer the meeting and created ruckus.
A PCI official, who was present at the AGM, said that Giriraj had allegedly brought bouncers who manhandled J P Singh, the head of the UP Paralympic Committee.
"He (J P Singh) was beaten up by the bouncers brought by Giriraj. Thankfully, he is not seriously injured," Nitin Arya, Secretary UP body said.
Ahmed had received a notice from the lawyers of PCI general secretary Rathan Singh along with a court order late last night against unlawful meetings and attempts to resolve upon certain matter in an unlawful way.
"The House unanimously agreed that since the suit/case has been instituted and the members being unaware of the orders (if any) passed by the concerned court, they do not want to take any chances on the notice issued by the lawyer conveying the above referred matter," the PCI said in a statement.
"Since the matter is sub-judice, the meeting should not be conducted and to be kept in abeyance till the actual facts are being ascertained," the statement added.
The PCI was reportedly unhappy with Rathan Singh as he had stopped discharging his duties as the general secretary for last two-three months and shut down his office in Bangalore.
Taking note of the development, the PCI, in its February 27 meeting, appointed Sathyanarayana as the secretary-in-charge replacing him. A miffed Rathan had filed a civil suit in a Bangalore court against the body.
Meanwhile, a majority of PCI members have requested the President to initiate disciplinary action against such individuals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list