Scuffle breaks out in PCI meeting
New Delhi: A scuffle broke out between the rival factions of the Paralympic Committee of India during its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Friday.
The AGM was indefinitely postponed after PCI President Sultan Ahmed informed the members that a Bangalore-based court has restrained the body from holding any meeting.
Secretary Paralympic Committee of Haryana, Giriraj Singh, and Shivajee Kumar of Bihar unit protested against the body`s decision to defer the meeting and created ruckus.
A PCI official, who was present at the AGM, said that Giriraj had allegedly brought bouncers who manhandled J P Singh, the head of the UP Paralympic Committee.
"He (J P Singh) was beaten up by the bouncers brought by Giriraj. Thankfully, he is not seriously injured," Nitin Arya, Secretary UP body said.
Ahmed had received a notice from the lawyers of PCI general secretary Rathan Singh along with a court order late last night against unlawful meetings and attempts to resolve upon certain matter in an unlawful way.
"The House unanimously agreed that since the suit/case has been instituted and the members being unaware of the orders (if any) passed by the concerned court, they do not want to take any chances on the notice issued by the lawyer conveying the above referred matter," the PCI said in a statement.
"Since the matter is sub-judice, the meeting should not be conducted and to be kept in abeyance till the actual facts are being ascertained," the statement added.
The PCI was reportedly unhappy with Rathan Singh as he had stopped discharging his duties as the general secretary for last two-three months and shut down his office in Bangalore.
Taking note of the development, the PCI, in its February 27 meeting, appointed Sathyanarayana as the secretary-in-charge replacing him. A miffed Rathan had filed a civil suit in a Bangalore court against the body.
Meanwhile, a majority of PCI members have requested the President to initiate disciplinary action against such individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future